Oklahoma City Public Schools is looking for a Spanish speaking (bi-lingual) public relations intern who wants to build their experience with a wide scope of public relations responsibilities. The intern will gain insight into education public relations, crisis communication, media relations, public relations planning, writing and editing copy, and event planning. The qualified candidate will leave the experience with solid portfolio samples and real life experience in a fast paced environment.
- Write and edit correspondence including: speaking points, news releases, parent communication, web copy, and news letter copy.
- Work with all Hispanic media outlets.
- Event planning and promotion.
- Photographing events with a digital 35mm camera.
- Conduct research for public relations planning.
- Work with communications team and district employees on projects and teams.
Candidate Should Have:
- Academic approval for internship course credit.
- Working towards a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, or mass communications and has completed at least two years of study.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Strong writing skills in English and Spanish and familiarity with AP style.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, e-mail, Internet and PowerPoint.
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Strong desire to participate in a team environment.
- Professional dress and behavior.
- At least 20-25 daytime hours a week to devote to the internship. Hours are flexible.
Applicants must be enrolled in college.
Additional Application Information:
Selected candidate must be able to provide two forms of identification, a high school transcript or current college transcript, and pass an OSBI background check. The OSBI check will require a non-refundable money order payment of $25.
Compensation: $8 per hour. Position does not qualify for benefits. Semester-long internships are available year-round.
Starting Date: June/July 2009 through the completion of the 2009 Fall semester.
Please submit resume and cover letter to:
Kathleen Kennedy, APR
Executive Director of Communications and Public Relations
Oklahoma City Public Schools
900 N. Klein
Oklahoma City, OK 73106