The purpose of this position is to teach interns about the field of public relations and to help acclimate them to the demands of the profession. Each intern will receive hands-on, real-world experience as they team up with ‘Saxumites’ on projects such as: Public relations and media campaigns, project planning, research and intelligence gathering, writing, brand development and many others. Saxum interns are invited to join client account teams and to work alongside even senior public relations practitioners.
Applicants should be juniors, seniors or graduate students with a background in public relations, journalism, marketing, communications or broadcast journalism. Public affairs interns will be considered each spring, while Oklahoma Legislature is in session. Applicants should exhibit strong writing, organizational and interpersonal skills as well as show an interest in current events, federal, state and local government, and in issues pertinent to Oklahoma. If this is you, then you will love the Saxum internship.
Interns will be required to perform the following tasks.
- Conduct research and maintain databases on an assortment of projects. Examples include maintaining media lists, tracking media results, maintaining resource library and conducting online research. A great deal of Internet research will be required.
- Participate in staff meetings to brainstorm ideas for current and potential clients.
- Assist staff in managing a variety of client projects. May include background research, planning special events, news conferences and seminars, writing press releases and other collateral material, proofreading and developing creative concepts to meet the client’s needs.
- Participate in client meetings.
- Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to taking notes in meetings and other administrative tasks.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Lindsay Laird via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours: 15 – 25 hours/week
Applications Due: Nov. 18, 2009
6305 Waterford Blvd., Suite 470
Oklahoma City, OK 73118