The YWCA Oklahoma City has an available internship with the department of Volunteers and Outreach.
Specific projects for the Fall 2009 and/ or Spring 2010 include promoting and planning Santa Store 2009, editing volunteer manual, presenting to community groups, and developing presentation materials. Interns will be supervised and evaluated by staff directors to ensure compliance with school guidelines.
Benefits to Student:
Career development skills Valuable resources, support and guidance Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Education Increased Marketable Skills Real life experiences
The specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Implement specific aspects of the Community Outreach Plan to increase awareness and education on the YWCA, emphasizing Crisis Service for domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Represent the YWCA at community events and speaking engagements, as appropriate and directed by preceptor.
- Coordinate with preceptor and Staff Directors to implement strategies to recruit direct and indirect service area volunteers.
- Coordinate and assist with Volunteer Orientation and Crisis Services Training provided to all volunteers, using established approved curriculum.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive agency information and information related to Crisis Programs and clients.
- Meet with preceptor on a regular basis to keep her apprised of events, problems, needs, etc.
- Participate in special events including fundraisers, such as Purple Sash.
- Perform other duties as assigned by preceptor and work as a team member with YWCA staff and administration.
Requirements: Interest in community relations and domestic violence and sexual assault. Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills are required. Practicum of 100+ hours.
Training: 12 hours of Crisis Services Training (topics include: domestic violence and sexual assault)
Time Commitment: Schedule based on individual.
Paid or Unpaid position: Unpaid
College Credit available: Yes
Please submit resume and cover letter to Erin Walker, Director of Outreach and Volunteer Services.